2020 Week #03
Jan 18th, 2020 by weeklynewsupdate
This is your weekly news update for January 12th to January 18th 2020. There are 2 headline summaries & 9 headlines covered this week.
Summary #1: Russian Military Intelligence, formerly known as the G R U, Hacked into the Ukrainian Gas Company at the Center of the Presidential Impeachment, as Russia appears to be preparing for US Election Interference.
- NYT (The Daily) - The Russian Hacking Plans for 2020
- NYT - Russians Hacked Ukrainian Gas Company at Center of Impeachment
- Reuters - Ukraine asks FBI to help probe suspected Russian hack of Burisma
Summary #2: Russian President, Vladimir Putin, Makes Multiple Political Moves to Retain Power After His Current Term.
- AP - Russian prime minister submits resignation to Putin.
- NPR - Russia's Government Resigns As Putin Moves To Change The Constitution.
- NYT - Putin’s Power Shake-up: Here Are Six Takeaways.
- Reuters - Putin shake-up could keep him in power past 2024 as cabinet steps aside.
Other notable headlines of the week are:
- From the AP, Reuters, NPR, & The Wall Street Journal - President Trump stated that the 2nd amendment was under attack from a recently passed Virginia Gun-Control Bill. The Virginia Supreme court upholds a weapons ban at a Pro-Gun Rally this coming Monday. The FBI arrest 3 White Supremacists ahead of the rally and 3 more later in the week that were planning to attend the rally & conduct violence.
- From Reuters & The Wall Street Journal - US Treasury drops China currency manipulator label ahead of trade deal signing. Phase 1 Trade Deal Details. And, the Peterson Institute for International Economics updates their Trade War Visual.
- From The New York Times & Reuters - New Video Shows Two Iranian Missiles Hit Ukrainian Plane. Iranians protest. And, Khamenei stand by Military.
- From Reuters - US Expels 21 Saudi Cadets Following Investigation.
- From Reuters, NPR, & The New York Times - GAO says Trump administration violated law by withholding Ukraine aid.
- From The New York Times - Michael Flynn Moves to Withdraw Guilty Plea in About-Face After Extensive Cooperation.
- From The New York Times - NSA Takes Step Toward Protecting World’s Computers, Not Just Hacking Them.
- From Reuters & NPR - Trump impeachment starts in the Senate. Reporters have new restrictions in covering trial. And, what to expect in the coming weeks.
- From The New York Times - Trump Attaches Severe Restrictions to Puerto Rico’s Long-Delayed Disaster Aid.
This has been your weekly news update for Jan 12th to 18th 2020. Links to all the sources for each news summary are in the show notes & at our website: https://www.wnu.news. Please subscribe, share this podcast with your friends, & review us on iTunes & Google. Thank you for listening.