2020 Week #05
Feb 1st, 2020 by weeklynewsupdate
This is your weekly news update for Jan 26th to Feb 1st 2020. There are 4 headline summaries & 7 headlines covered this week.
Summary #1: The Wuhan Coronavirus Update.
- Interactive Graph from The New York Times
- The New York Times - Deaths Surpass 200, and State Department Urges Against Travel to China
- Reuters - Global shares slump on China virus economic concerns, gold gains
- Reuters - U.S. ramps up anti-coronavirus measures at border as impact spreads
- Reuters - U.S. declares coronavirus health emergency, bars foreign nationals who visited China
- The Wall Street Journal - Coronavirus Cases Grow as Airlines Suspend Flights to China
- The New York Times - 3 Major U.S. Airlines Suspend China Flights Over Coronavirus
- CDC - 2019-2020 U.S. Flu Season: Preliminary Burden Estimates
Summary #2: President Trump Impeachment Trial Is Coming to an End.
- From NYT - Trump Tied Ukraine Aid to Inquiries He Sought, Bolton Book Says
- From Reuters - Senate rejects witnesses in Trump impeachment trial, clearing way for acquittal
- From the AP - Trump acquittal now likely Wednesday; Senate nixes witnesses
Summary #3: Brexit is finally happening.
- From the AP - Britain leaves the European Union, leaps into the unknown
- From Reuters - Brexit at last: Britain leaves the EU as champagne corks fly
- From The Wall Street Journal - Brexit Is Done: The U.K. Has Left the European Union
- From Foreign Policy - Brexit Is Good News for Russia, but a Headache for NATO
Summary #4: Update on the U.S. National Deficit, Debt, & Economic Growth.
- From The Wall Street Journal - U.S. National Debt Will Rise to 98% of GDP by 2030, CBO Projects
- From The New York Times - U.S. Growth at Slowest Since 2016, Complicating Trump’s Pitch
- From Reuters - U.S. economy misses Trump's 3% growth target in 2019
Notable headlines of the week were:
- From Reuters, The New York Times, & the AP - President Trump releases Middle East Peace Plan that Favors Israel with the Palestinians denouncing it.
- From The New York Times, Reuters, & the AP - N.B.A. legend Kobe Bryant, his daughter & 7 others died in a helicopter crash last Sunday. The helicopter, which wasn't equipped with ground sensing equipment, flew into a dense cloud bank, & crashed into the side of a hill.
- From The New York Times & NPR - Pentagon Now Reports 50 U.S. Troops Suffered Brain Injuries in Iran Strike from more than a week ago.
- From The Wall Street Journal - FDA Approves First Drug for severe Peanut Allergies that will cost $890 a month.
- From Reuters & The New York Times - Supreme Court allows immigration policy that makes immigrants ineligible for permanent legal status if they use public benefits like Medicaid and food stamps.
- From The New York Times - Russia’s Military Influence Expands in Africa as DoD weighs withdrawing troops from the continent.
- From Reuters - Boeing posts first annual loss in two decades as 737 MAX costs near 19 billion dollars.
This has been your weekly news update for Jan 26th to Feb 1st 2020. Links to all the sources for each news summary are in the show notes & at our website: https://www.wnu.news. Please subscribe, share this podcast with your friends, & review us on iTunes & Google. Thank you for listening.