2020 Week #19
May 9th, 2020 by weeklynewsupdate
This is your weekly news update for May 3-9, 2020. There are 2 in-depth summaries with 6 other notable headlines reported this week.
Summary #1. Coronavirus Update:
Visual Capitalist - Anatomy of the $2 Trillion COVID-19 Stimulus Bill
- WSJ - April Unemployment Rate Rose to a Record 14.7%.
- WSJ - Unemployment Claims Data Point to Record Wave of Job Loss.
- Axios - Unemployment rate soars to 14.7% in April.
- NYT - For Workers, No Sign of ‘What Normal Is Going to Look Like’.
- AP News - 33 million have sought US unemployment aid since virus hit.
- NPR - One For The History Books: 14.7% Unemployment, 20.5 Million Jobs Wiped Away.
- Reuters - Coronavirus inflicts huge U.S. job losses as pandemic breaches White House walls.
- The Big Picture - Succinct Summation of Week’s Events 5.8.20.
- WSJ - U.S. Treasury Expects to Borrow $4.5 Trillion in Fiscal Year as Stimulus Spending Soars.
- WSJ - Two People Working in White House Test Positive for Coronavirus.
- Reuters - Pence spokeswoman, married to top Trump adviser, diagnosed with coronavirus.
- Reuters - Pompeo says 'significant' evidence that new coronavirus emerged from Chinese lab.
- Axios - Pompeo says there's "enormous evidence" coronavirus originated in Wuhan lab.
- FiveThirtyEight - Why Scientists Think The Novel Coronavirus Developed Naturally — Not In A Chinese Lab.
- Axios - White House won't allow members of coronavirus task force to testify in May.
- Axios - Trump says he won't let Fauci testify because the House is "a bunch of Trump haters".
- NYT - Administration to Phase Out Coronavirus Task Force.
- Axios - Pence: White House considering disbanding coronavirus task force.
- AP News - Trump: COVID-19 task force not dismantling, just refocusing.
- Reuters - Trump to refocus coronavirus task force on economic revival, concedes risks.
- WSJ - Antimalaria Drug Doesn’t Help Treat Covid-19, Large But Inconclusive Study Finds.
- AP News - Malaria drug shows no benefit in another coronavirus study.
- WSJ - Coronavirus Vaccine Enters Human Testing in U.S.
- NY Mag - The FDA Has Approved a Coronavirus Vaccine for Phase Two Trial.
- Science Daily - Vitamin D levels appear to play role in COVID-19 mortality rates.
- Science Daily - Vitamin D linked to low virus death rate, study finds.
- Axios - Justice Department drops prosecution of Michael Flynn.
- Axios - Top Michael Flynn prosecutor moves to withdraw from case.
- NY Mag - Trump Sets Free Another Russia Probe Criminal, Then Gloats With Putin.
- WSJ - Justice Department to Drop Case Against Michael Flynn.
- NYT - U.S. Drops Michael Flynn Case, in Move Backed by Trump.
- NYT - Trump Praises Barr and Revels in Dismissal of Charges Against Flynn.
- NYT - In Flynn Case, Barr Again Takes Aim at Mueller Inquiry.
- Reuters - U.S. moves to drop case against Trump ex-adviser Flynn, who admitted lying to FBI.
- Reuters - Skeptical judge could hold up Trump administration's bid to clear Flynn, legal experts say.
- NPR - Michael Flynn Pleaded Guilty. Why Is The Justice Department Dropping The Charges?.
- NPR - Justice Department Is Dropping Case Against Ex-Trump Adviser Michael Flynn.
- AP News - Flynn dismissal a surprise? AG Barr in sync with Trump.
From All Sources (NY Mag, NYT, Reuters, Reuters, AP, AP). The Pentagon and President Trump deny any involvement in a failed Coup attempt in Venezuela. Venezuela arrested 13 individuals. Two of them were Americans that worked for Silvercore, a Florida security firm. The owner of Silvercorp, Jordan Goudreau, a retired US Army Green Beret, claimed responsibility for the coup. He is now under federal investigation for arms trafficking.