2020 Week #20
May 16th, 2020 by weeklynewsupdate
This is your weekly news update for May 10th through 16th, 2020. There are 3 in-depth summaries with 6 other notable headlines reported this week.
Summary #1. Coronavirus Update:
Visual Capitalist - Anatomy of the $2 Trillion COVID-19 Stimulus Bill
- NYT - One-Third of All U.S. Coronavirus Deaths Are Nursing Home Residents or Workers
- AP News - White House recommends tests for all nursing home residents.
- NPR - CDC Issues Tools To Guide Reopening Of Schools, Businesses, Transit.
- Axios - Another 3 million Americans filed for unemployment last week.
- NYT - ‘Rolling Shock’ as Job Losses Mount Even With Reopenings.
- WSJ - Nearly Three Million Sought Jobless Benefits Last Week.
- Axios - House passes $3 trillion coronavirus relief package.
- Reuters - House passes $3 trillion coronavirus aid bill opposed by Trump.
- WSJ - House Narrowly Passes $3 Trillion Aid Package.
- NPR - House Passes $3 Trillion Coronavirus Relief Bill That Has Dim Future.
- AP News - Democrats push new $3T coronavirus relief bill through House.
- NYT - House Passes $3 Trillion Aid Bill Over Republican Opposition.
- NPR - Here's How Much Congress Has Approved For Coronavirus Relief So Far And What It's For.
- Reuters - Senate Intelligence Committee chairman stepping down during stock sale investigation.
- WSJ - Tesla Files Lawsuit in Bid to Reopen Fremont Factory.
- Reuters - Tesla sues California county in virus factory closure fight, threatens to leave.
- NPR - Elon Musk Says Tesla Suing California County, Moving Headquarters Out Of State.
- Axios - Elon Musk reopens Tesla factory in California, defying virus restrictions.
- Axios - Tesla emerges as focal point in reopening battles.
- Bloomberg - Tesla Plant Buzzing Ahead of Permission to Resume Operations.
- Axios - Trump's tax returns fight reaches the Supreme Court.
- NYT - Momentous Choices for Supreme Court as It Hears Trump Financial Records Cases.
- AP News - Supreme Court appears likely to reject Trump immunity claim.
- Reuters - U.S. Supreme Court wary of presidential 'harassment' in Trump finances fight.
- NPR - Supreme Court Hears Cases Involving Trump's Taxes, Financial Records.
- NYT - Appeals Court Allows Emoluments Suit Against Trump to Proceed.
- AP News - Appeals court reinstates lawsuit over Trump’s hotel profits.
- NYT - Trump White House Changes Its Story on Michael Flynn.
- NYT - Judge Hesitates to Accept Justice Dept. Move to Drop Flynn Charge.
- Axios - Nearly 2,000 DOJ alumni call on Barr to resign over Flynn case.
- Axios - The facts on Michael Flynn, the FBI, and Bill Barr’s bombshell.
- WSJ - Intelligence Chief Declassifies Names of Obama Officials Who ‘Unmasked’ Flynn.
- NPR - What You Need To Know About The Flynn, Biden And 'Unmasking' Story.
- NYT [Podcast] - The Sage of Michael Flynn
- WSJ - Judge Appoints Lawyer to Argue Against Dismissal of Charges in Michael Flynn Case.
From NPR. Attack On Afghan Hospital Kills At Least 16, Including Newborns.
And in an exclusive from Yahoo News. The FBI accidentally reveals name of Saudi official suspected of directing support for 9/11 hijackers, via a court filing.