2020 Week #21
May 23rd, 2020 by weeklynewsupdate
This is your weekly news update for May 17th through 23rd, 2020. There is 1 in-depth summary with 9 other notable headlines reported this week.
Summary #1. Coronavirus Update:
- Ritholtz - The Big Picture.
- WSJ - Workers File 2.4 Million Unemployment Claims.
- Axios - 2.4 million Americans filed for unemployment last week.
- AP News - Job market remains grim even as U.S. tentatively reopens.
- WSJ - Nearly Half of Adults Live in U.S. Households That Lost Income Since Lockdowns Started.
- NPR - About Half Of U.S. Homes Lost Wages During Pandemic, Census Bureau Finds.
- NYT - Feds Suspect Vast Fraud Network Is Targeting U.S. Unemployment Systems.
- WSJ - J.C. Penney to Close Nearly 30% of Its Stores.
- Reuters - J.C. Penney has need for speed in bankruptcy, lawyer says.
- Investors - Report Says Amazon Could Be Interested In JC Penney Acquisition.
- WSJ - Bankrupt Pier 1 Imports Says Stores to Permanently Shut Down.
- NPR - Home-Decor Retailer Pier 1 Looks To Close For Good.
- Axios - Hertz files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Axios - Trump says he's taking hydroxychloroquine despite FDA warnings.
- AP News - Trump says he’s taking malaria drug to protect against virus.
- AP News - My ‘decision to make’: Trump defends criticized use of drug.
- NYMAG - Trump Takes Hydroxychloroquine, Does Not Understand How Science Works.
- NYMAG - Study: Treating COVID-19 With Hydroxychloroquine Increases Risk of Death.
- NYMAG - Hydroxychloroquine and the Coronavirus: What Studies Actually Say.
- NYT - Trump Says He’s Taking Hydroxychloroquine, Prompting Warning From Health Experts.
- NYT - Trump’s Inaccurate Claims on Hydroxychloroquine.
- Axios - Hydroxychloroquine linked to increased risk of death in COVID-19 patients.
- Axios - Trump dismisses FDA warnings about hydroxychloroquine.
- WSJ - Moderna Says Initial Covid-19 Vaccine Results Are Positive.
- Axios - Moderna has a huge day after igniting hope for coronavirus cure.
- NPR - Trump Says Funding Cuts Will Be Permanent If WHO Doesn't Commit To 'Major' Changes.
- Reuters - Trump threatens to halt WHO funding, review U.S. membership.
- Reuters - Republican senators put brakes on additional coronavirus aid.
- Axios - McConnell to Trump: Next coronavirus bill must be under $1 trillion.
- NYT - Obama Says U.S. Lacks Leadership on Virus in Commencement Speeches.
- Axios - Obama: Pandemic has exposed lack of leadership.
- AP News - Obama criticizes virus response in online graduation speech.
- WSJ - In Commencement Addresses, Obama Takes Aim at Coronavirus Response.
- NPR - Trump Calls On States To Reopen Places Of Worship Immediately.
- AP News - Trump declares churches ‘essential,’ calls on them to reopen.
- NYT - Firing a Salvo in Culture Wars, Trump Pushes for Churches to Reopen.
From All Sources (NYT, Axios1, Axios2, Reuters1, Reuters, AP, WSJ). A federal appeals court ordered the judge to Explain his Handling of the Flynn Case as the FBI Announces a Review to determine whether or not it committed misconduct. This comes as 11 hundred former US prosecutors denounce the attempt to drop the Flynn charges.